Do you love WordPress as much as we do? Download Shareaholic for WordPress to take advantage of all the platform offers.
We use the word “ultimate” a lot to describe our list guides, but this post is truly an ultimate resource. We combed through all of our previous posts of WordPress and compiled them into one easy-to-read post for you with links. If you’re wondering how to get started, pick the best plugins or choose the hottest themes on WordPress, this is the post for you.
Though it is the most popular content management system (CMS) online, WordPress can be intimidating to start using for some users. Follow these steps to get your site up and running:
- Start here. We’ve already compiled some great guides to starting your blog—how to launch your site, a vocab overview and tutorial videos. Use this as your jumping-off point.
- Have questions? Most people do. Here are the answers to the top 10 most frequently asked questions about WordPress—I bet yours is in there.
- Look to the experts. Though we love being a resource to you, we know there are plenty of people out there who are true WordPress experts. We especially love LabZip and WP Beginner–they both have tremendous resources for those just starting out.
- Get outside WordPress. Have more questions? Follow experts on Twitter and ask them for help.
One of the first things people notice on your page is your layout and design. If you can create a theme by hand, all the power to you. For the rest of us, here are some roundups to make choosing a theme a bit easier:
- For themes that look like Tumblr. Love Tumblr but don’t want to blog there? Get a Tumblr feel on WordPress with these themes.
- For themes that look like Pinterest. If you’re a Pin-addict like the rest of us, definitely check out these themes.
- For a freelance portfolio. Put your best foot forward with these professional themes.
- For a change of scenery. Have you had the same WordPress theme forever? Here are some new themes to freshen up your blog.
- For the best Responsive themes. If you want your theme to stay the same across all devices, choose one of these responsive themes.
- For the top mobile themes. If your readers are always on the go, definitely choose one of these specifically mobile themes.
Here at Shareaholic, we’re a bit partial to our own plugin. We’ve been branching out beyond just social share buttons to include a new set of Classic Bookmarks, Top Bar, Recommendations and Shareaholic Analytics. (Here are some of our newest features in the wild!) Intrigued? We thought so. To get all of these new features, click here to download Shareaholic for WordPress. Once you activate the plugin, you will have access to all of our new features.
There are also tons of fabulous plugins beyond our own. Check out the following posts for the best WordPress plugins:
- For a photo gallery. Looking to have a gallery on your blog? We have the five best gallery plugins on WordPress here.
- For an eCommerce site. If you are looking to sell products on your blog, this roundup is for you.
- For your business. Running a blog for a business is much different than one for personal reasons. Get plugins to help you do your job easier!
- For the most popular WordPress plugins. Following the crowd can sometimes pay off! See why these plugins are so popular.
- For everything under the sun. Sometimes you just need to try a new plugin on your blog. Check out this link to get fresh ideas for new plugins to use.
Getting to Know WordPress IRL
Beyond the amazing platform, WordPress is a tremendous organization that hosts events all over the world to learn more about the platform and blogging in general. We’ll be attending WordCamp Boston in July as a speaker and sponsor—come for the weekend to learn from the best and brightest of WordPress!
What are some of your favorite resources for WordPress? Comment below with links to the sites.