This blog post was originally posted on the SexyBookmarks’ blog. Shareaholic has since taken over the responsibility for the continued development and improvement of SexyBookmark publisher plugins!
Sexy Gets An Upgrade!
What do Newsvine, Devmarks, and Linkedin all have in common? They’re all newly added sites that you can include in your bookmarking menu for increased sexiness! Now, what do SBv2 and bugs have in common? NOTHING! Thanks to all of you who reported bugs as soon as you encountered them, I was able to squash each and every bug that was reported before this release!
Don’t get me wrong… I’m fairly certain that there will still be bugs as time goes on, but for now each of the bugs that was reported with v1 has been fixed. Now back to the new features, here’s a detailed list of what’s been added in v2:
Added Newsvine to the list of sites to choose from
Added Devmarks to the list of sites to choose from
Added Linkedin to the list of sites to choose from
Added an “Email to a friend” link to include in the menu
Added a “Subscribe to comments” link to include in the menu
Added option to include the menu on “index” page
Added ability to choose which URL shortening service to use
Added extra functionality to the Twitter link
Downloading & Installation
This plugin can be downloaded via the download button at the top of the site, or you can download directly from the WordPress SVN at https://wordpress.org/plugins/shareaholic/.
Follow these instructions for a simple manual install:
- Upload the extracted archive to your wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress
- Adjust the settings to your liking via Settings -> SexyBookmarks
If you need more detailed instructions for basic installation as well as information regarding troublesome or complex installations, please see the Plugin Installation Page.
Below is a quick list of some of the most commonly asked questions. For a more complete list, please visit the FAQ Page.
I’ve uploaded the plugin and activated, but it’s not showing up or it’s broken:
This is normally due to styles in your WordPress theme overriding the styles of the plugin. Check your theme’s stylesheet for rules like !important; as these may be overriding the styles defined by the plugin.
My favorite bookmarking site isn’t listed!
You can use the Feature Request Form to send the name of the site and the URL, and I will work on releasing it with a future update.
I’m a WordPress theme developer, and I’d like to bundle your plugin with my themes. Is this okay?
Absolutely! Please just let me know where the themes will be released so that I can post about it on my site as well!
The custom background for the container DIV is not showing:
I’ve found a small issues that happens occasionally where the script doesn’t communicate the way it’s supposed to and therefor the styles for the DIV aren’t sent automatically on the first try.
If this is happening to you, for now you can fix it by clicking inside the textarea where the custom CSS “default” styles are written, make sure the cursor is at the very end of the styles, press the space bar and add a single space to the end, then save your changes.
I’ve found a bug not covered here, where do I report it?
Please report all bugs via the Bug Report Form for quickest response and notation time. Otherwise, you can choose to email me at: support[at]shareaholic[dot]com
- 1.0 Initial release
- 1.1 Added Twitter to the list, and added more options
- 1.1.2 Fixed issue where custom CSS textarea was covering icons
- 1.1.3 Fixed bug that caused pages to not be displayed, also: plugin only displays on single posts now
- 1.1.4 Resolved issue that caused menu to display at top of post even if â€œbelow postâ€ was selected
- 1.2 Critical Update!, also added a feature request for the ability to choose between placing the menu on posts, pages, or both
- 1.2.1 Minor bug fix where some users were having a plugin conflict (same CSS classes)
- 1.3 Goof version, if you still have this version you seriously need to update because your menu isn’t working!
- 1.3.1 Fixed my v1.3 goof that caused images to disappear. Also added extra functionality for Twitter link (auto “at” reply with your Twitter id)
- 1.3.2 Added a custom function so that you can now insert the menu into your theme anywhere you choose
- 1.3.3 Added ability to display the menu on homepage. Fixed Twitter links (http://is.gd has a new api with tighter restrictions, so now the plugin uses http://ri.ms to shorten links)
- 2.0 Added newsvine, devmarks, linkedin, “Email to friend”, and “Subscribe to comments”. Now uses cURL instead of file_get_contents(). Got rid of the table based layout for the admin options area, and replaced it with DIVs. Also restructured the options area and added another option for choosing the background image of the DIV that contains the menu.